Thursday, March 21, 2013

Springing Forward

Happy Spring!!  It is finally here!  I start to anticipate the coming of this day on about January 3rd every year; when winter finally sets in and the holiday buzz has worn off.  I have been so excited for so long that I don't know where to start now that the day is finally here.  There are so many things to do right now that will determine the success of our growing season - seed starting, preparing the garden bed, staking, trellising, pruning...  It is easy to let myself get overwhelmed.  

I have other reasons to be excited, though.  Warm days mean going outside without jackets, shoes, even pants if you are Lincoln or Audrey!  Walks in the woods, playing in the creek, picnics and suppers outside - all good reasons to welcome the warm weather. 

Here are a few favorites from last year:




Despite my being overwhelmed, things are starting to happen around here.  The kiddos and I planted patches of asparagus and strawberries last week, Wes has started working on getting the big garden bed ready to plant, and a wheelbarrow load of finished compost has been put aside to use on seedlings.  We also made a makeshift seed starting area since my cold frame hasn't managed to build itself.  I am actually pretty proud of our idea, and will be even more so if it actually works well.  We took a big plastic storage shelf that was on the porch and moved it out to a sunny spot in the yard, up against a wall for support.  Once I get some seeds planted we will pile them in and cover the whole thing with clear plastic. I also plan to put a thermometer in it so I will know if it needs to be vented.  Now all I need to do is actually plant the seeds...

No comments:

Post a Comment