Sunday, February 10, 2013

Garden Dreaming

Daffodils started blooming this week, and the weather is starting to warm up ever so slightly. I am thinking of the garden...

I want to plant a little bit of everything and a lot of a few things. Including:
Asparagus
Beans of every kind, especially dry beans
Brussels sprout
Beets
Broccoli
Cabbage
Carrots
Cucumbers
Celery
Cantaloupe
Chard
Herbs, and lots of them
Kale
Potatoes, white and sweet
Pumpkins
Popcorn, no sweet corn this year
Tomatoes
Tomatoes
Tomatoes
Winter squashes of every variety

And lots more, I'm sure; that's just what I can come up with a quick spin through the alphabet. I don't know if I will get it all in the ground, but I'm sure gonna try.

Seed starting has been on my mind most today. Primarily, how exactly I am going to do it. My efforts last year were all a flop, so I am back to the drawing board for now. I have a cold frame in mind, hopefully built out of some old windows I will find for free somewhere...

Notice all those tomatoes on there? It is a goal of mine (and always is, although not yet realized) to grow and can enough tomatoes so that we don't have to buy any all year. We eat a can or two a week usually, so I figure I need about, well, a lot. I have high hopes that this is going to be the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment