Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Weekend (or A Chicken Update)

The kiddos and I were lucky enough to have Wes home for an extra day this past weekend, so we made the most of it.  We spent Saturday with family and friends, including celebrating our sweet niece's 6th birthday, then Sunday and Monday we stayed busy at home.  We were even paid a visit by Wes's Granny on Sunday.  

Have I ever mentioned how amazing Wes is?  He is pretty dang amazing.  He worked all day Sunday and Monday building a new coop for our growing flock of chickens (14 birds at the moment).  He also helped me finish planting our trees and grape vines just in time for a nice rain shower to water them.  The coop isn't quite finished, the bottom picture is it's current condition, but I imagine the chickens will be in their new digs in 2 or 3 weeks, maybe sooner.  



While I'm talking chickens (seriously, once I get started it is hard for me to stop...), Broody Hen laid her first egg yesterday since going broody back in October.  She has always laid her eggs in an old hanging basket that sits on a table on the side of the porch.  She must have been confused yesterday because she kept hopping up on this table (not her usual one, which is on the other side of the porch) and looking around, maybe for her basket, until finally giving up and just laying the egg right here:


Not the best spot for an egg, but I'll take it.  After cleaning up from coop construction, Wes piled a bunch of stuff on this table and Broody was forced to find a more appropriate spot today.  

All in all, we had a pretty wonderful weekend.  Tonight I have the TV to myself, and having read mention of Downton Abbey no less than 5 times in the past few weeks, I have to see what it is all about.  A cup of tea, some knitting, and episode 1 are waiting for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment